Hoverboards have caused a kind of craze in the youth from all over the world. Kids are asking their parents for hoverboards on Christmas, and some smart ones are saving their pocket money to buy a self-balancing scooter.
If you are planning to buy a self-balancing scooter, then you should know that there have been many incidents of hoverboards blowing up. From this post you will learn why do hoverboards explode, how to prevent it and how to buy a hoverboard that do not blow up.
What Causes Hoverboards to Blow Up or Catch on Fire?
Why do hoverboards explode? There are many reasons for blowing up or catching on fire, all of them are mentioned right here.
The prime reason behind hoverboard fires is batteries, especially 18650 Lithium-ion batteries that are present in hoverboards. They contain different cells of 4.20V each. A few sheets of Polyethylene or Polypropylene separate individual cells. If one or more of these sheets are compromised due to impact or overcharging, a short circuit occurs that often leads up to fires.
Overcharging happens when the function of protection board for swegway scooter fails. Sometimes, inefficient charging also causes overheating and explosions. In some cases, cooling components fail to do their jobs which leads to explosions.
If your hoverboards’ battery is fine, faulty wiring can also cause a spark or explosion. If the wires are crimped or exposed during the manufacturing process, they will be more vulnerable. They will also be likely to suffer a short circuit, sparking or worse, explosion.
If a self-balancing scooter has wires that were spot soldered to the batteries or any other components, it could lead to too much jiggling. So, be cautious if something rattles when you shake your board.
In cases where hoverboards are made is bulk, manufacturing process doesn’t always involve a quality check. So, it could lead to dangers like metal shavings left inside a device that may grind. Loose fittings can also short-circuit a board and cause the fire if the board is dropped accidentally.
In order to save cost, some of the hoverboard manufacturers use bad quality battery cell or pack into production, which may lead to blowing up of the board.
How to Prevent Hoverboard from Blowing Up?
When searching for hoverboard that do not blow up, you should know about some tricks to ensure that the scooter you own doesn’t blow up. Here are some things to keep in mind to ensure that.
- Always buy it from a trustworthy seller that uses high-quality components. For the US market, a hoverboard must be certified by the UL2272 (check for the real UL2272 logo). For Europe market, you need to check for CE/Rohs certification.
- Make sure that you don’t overcharge the board often,You need to know how long does it take to charge a hoverboard.
- Do not change charger carelessly because different charger has different voltage and current, changing charger might do harm to the battery.
- Purchase charger that with UL certification, charger with UL logo is equipped with overcharging protection that is safer. You can also buy an external universal charger if you are not sure that your charger is good enough.
- Do not leave your hoverboard charging overnight, there were many fire incidents that happened when charging a self-balancing scooter at night and no one was watching the charger.
- Develop the habit of charging hoverboard every day and every time you use it. This will keep the battery in shallow cycle status, which will extend the lifetime of your battery.
- Consider your board to be a fragile item that shouldn’t be dropped, kicked or come into contact with sharp objects.
- Don’t ride it carelessly at high speeds from day one. Practice riding slowly at first and increase speed only when you are comfortable, and the surface is smooth. You should learn to cruise in advance when you encounter traffic light as it will reduce the times of braking.
- Know the weight limits of your board and don’t test them as it may lead to explosions.
- Don’t charge the hoverboard instantly after riding it as it might still be hot.
- Charge it away from any flammable materials so that it doesn’t burn everything around it in cases of an explosion.
How to Check Your Hoverboard is Safe?
You can do a thorough check of your self-balancing scooter to ensure that its safe. For that, you need to:
- Look for non-compliant plugs like a cloverleaf plug with no fuse.
- Check for the non-approved fake plug with incorrect markings and counterfeit fuse.
- Never buy products without branding or manufacturers details on packaging or product.
- Beware of misspellings on the packaging or product or instructions.
- Never buy a charger with no manufacturer details.
- Never buy a product that has very poor CE marking, non-compliant CE marking or that comes without CE marking (EU market), UL2272 certification is required in US market now.
Never forget the most important component-Battery, let us watch a video of how to know if your hoverboard battery is safe:
Which Hoverboards are Safe?
If you are wondering do hoverboards still blow up 2020, the answer is yes, but the number of explosions has been limited. Amazon has recalled hoverboards that are not deemed safe. The UL2272 certification has also reduced blowing up incidents.
However, it is a fact that quality of many self-balancing scooters is still not guaranteed. Tracking your self-balancing scooter to a specific manufacturer is not easy as it is sold by different sellers.
In 2015-16 most of the hoverboards exploaded because of low quality batteries and wiring. But now after UL 2272 certification it is much easier to buy the best hoverbaords in 2020 and beyond. For detailed buying guide you can visit https://topelectricrides.com/.
What Brand of Hoverboards are Safe?
Though we will not comment on what brand of hoverboards are catching fire, we can tell you what brands/models are safe. Here you go:
- App-Enabled SWAGTRON T580
- GOTRAX Hoverfly ECO Hoverboard
- EPIKGO Sport
- Swagtron T1
- Jetson V6 Hoverzon XLS
- Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard
- Rayeeboard Hoverboard
Are Highly Priced Hoverboards Safe?
Many people have an assumption that a self-balancing scooter that costs $180-$300 is not too good while those costing $800-$2000 are good. Well, it’s not true, there are companies like IO Hawk and Hovertrax that make more-expensive devices. Unfortunately, they aren’t exactly perennial tech powerhouses.
Money Plays a Part
Do not buy a cheap hoverboard (price under $150) because there is huge possibility that their quality is defective.
Remember to Check motherBoard
Though there is no answer to what brand of hoverboards are catching fire, you should know that red and yellow Motherboard are not trustworthy. In contrast, green motherboard has decent heat management, high-quality components and good spacing between components. Blue motherboard has the highest quality of parts and usually last longer than the other three motherboards.
Questions to Ask While Picking a Hoverboard that do not blow up
When looking for hoverboards that do not catch on fire or blow up or hoverboards that do not explode, you should ask the following questions:
- Does the self-balancing scooter have any patented battery protection?
- Is the device certified by UL227 or CE, an organization that certifies, tests, validates, inspects, verifies and audits electrical devices?
- Does the device have good online reviews?
- Are there some YouTube videos by real people testifying the quality of boards?
We hope that you have got answers to all the hoverboard explosion related questions and you will use this knowledge wisely. We wish you best of luck in your hunt for a hoverboard that do not blow up and hope that you’ll find a piece that makes you happy.