As the Covid-19 epidemic spread in 2020, more and more people choose to buy electric scooter for short distance traveling. When you own an electric scooter, knowing how to charge electric scooter is essential.
In this article, we will reveal some facts about charging electric scooters.
Electric scooter charging guide
The charging process is simple:
- Charge your electric scooter before taking a spin. Does electric scooter come charged? Yes, manufacturers always charge the scooter fully or at least 80% before shipping out.
However, the sellers may keep the electric scooter in stock for months and the battery level becomes extremely low. Thus, you should always remember to charge your electric scooter when you receive it for the first time.
- Read the manual thoroughly about how to charge your electric scooter properly.
- Plug the charger into the wall socket, the charger light should be green. Then put the charger into your scooter charging port. Make sure you align the charger pin to the port hole correctly.
- The light on the charger should turn into red. After a few hours, it would turn solid green again, which means the battery is fully charged. Pull the electric scooter charger out from the wall then the charger port. You are ready to ride your scooter now!
How long does it take to charge an electric scooter
Some people are wondering how long does it take to charge an electric scooter. In fact, it mostly depends on the electric scooter battery capacity and charger type.
Take Xiaomi M365 electric scooter as an example:
Battery capacity for Xiaomi M365 is 7.8AH, and it uses a 1.5AH charger, then the charging time is about 7.8/1.5=5.2 hours.
The Xiaomi M365 Pro adopts a 12.8AH lithium battery, so its charging time is 12.8/1.5≈8.5 hours.
Some scooters may use 2.0AH charger, this kind of charger will charge the scooter more quickly.
How long does a scooter battery charge last
The lifespan of an electric scooter battery is about 500 cycles. After that, the battery performance will reduce gradually. As for the range per single charge, it is effected by some factors:1. Speed; 2. Rider weight; 3. Road condition.4.Temperature
Speed will impact on the scooter mileage greatly. If you keep manipulating it at max speed. The battery will consume quickly.
Normally, the scooter factory will test the electric vehicle with riders at 65-70kgs. Heavier guy will get a shorter distance at one full charge. If you are too heavy, you may find the scooter display can not reach maximum speed, it is a normal phenomenon.
The battery life is also related to road conditions. Usually, you will cruise on the city flat road. The range will be definitely different when you riding on gravel, sand, or grass.
Temperature is also a crucial factor that affects electric scooter mileage. If you ride your scooter in extremely cold weather, the battery will drain very quickly.
How often to charge electric scooter
This questions can be divided into two situations:
- You use the electric scooter regularly. You should charge the electric scooter once you have used it. So it has enough battery power to support you to go travel. People often use electric scooter as a commuting tool, so you can charge it when arriving at the office. And charge it again at home so you can drive it the next day.
- You do not use the electric scooter often. Under this situation, you need to charge the electric scooter at least once every three months. The reason is if you do not ride the scooter for a very long time, the battery will discharge itself and go completely dead eventually. Especially in cold weather, the battery will consume very quickly.
If you want to know more about electric scooter maintence, you can read our article: How to extend electric scooter battery life .
Electric scooter not charging
What if your electric scooter is not charging? Actually, this could be the charger or battery problem.
You can check if the indicator on the charger shows correctly. If it is charging, the light on the charger should be red, then turn to green when it is full. If you find there is no charging light at all or the charging light always shows green. This might be a charger issue.
There is an easy way to test. Assuming you have a spare charger, you can test the two chargers. If both charger show the same light, this might be a battery problem.
Battery drained completely
If the battery is depleted, you will find the charger light is always green when charging. You can only turn on the scooter with charger plugged in, when unplugging the charger, you can not power on the electric scooter again.
How to charge electric scooter without charger
There are ways to charge electric scooter without charger. Make sure to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles before conducting the charging process.
1.Portable car jump starter
Use a screwdriver to take out the battery. Most electric scooter battery locates under the deck.
Connect the car jump with the battery. There should be a clear indicator of the positive port and negative port on battery. Connect the red cable with the positive electrode and attach the black cable with the negative electrode.
Switching on the car jump start.
Keep it charging for at least 20min. You can use a multimeter to check if it is fully charged. Then you can turn off the jumper and disconnect the cable. Make sure to detach the black cable first then the red cable.
2.Variable power supply
Variable power supply is a portable gadget you can get from any hardware store.
Likewise the car jump, you should connect the red wire to the positive port and the black wire to the negative port.
Adjust the voltage to 4.2V/cell and set the current to 20% of the battery capacity.
Wait for the charging until you see the supplied current drop to 3% of the battery capacity. Then you can detach the cable and put the battery to your electric scooter again.
All in all, above are tips of how to charge electric scooter properly. Hope this article has helped you in taking care of your electric scooter. Enjoy your riding!